Thursday, June 21, 2007

WOW...another person checked in...

MAN! I swear. It's crazy stuff down here. I sort of forgot to put in the last post from yesterday that yet ANOTHER person from my past has said hello. Greg Weist, who I first met in 7th grade, is alive and well in the SF Valley. I last saw him many years ago at a Christmas party at his house that was--well--THAT particular night was not a good night for a couple of reasons but I'll move on and not relive it. But anyway--it was cool to hear from "The Big Ox". We used that term to describe him because he was a BIG BOY when we first met him. I think he was already 6 feet tall in 7th grade. I remember DISTINCTLY the first day I ever saw him--a transplant from Arizona--and sat behind me in Mrs. Honzay's English class. I remember turning around in my seat and looking at him, and he gave me a dirty look and pushed up his glasses on his nose and sort of scowled at his desk. I swear I can see it in my head like it was yesterday. Anyway--Greg and I fast became best friends and had many adventures together in junior high and high school, our lives centered around I think three incredibly important things--FOOD, GIRLS, and MUSIC. Make that four. Add on Maynard Ferguson. We were freaks about Maynard Ferguson. Don't know who Maynard Ferguson is? Oh...well...go to www.maynardferguson.com to learn more. BIG inspiration in my life. Right up there with William Shatner!! :-) Geez...now that I'm sitting here thinking about it--Greg and I did a TON of stuff together when we were kids. Obviously band and orchestra gigs, but we toured to Mexico twice with the Boys' Club Youth Band, once to La Paz and the other time to Mazatlan, I had my first beer with Greg in the back of the bus in downtown La Paz (Tecate Beer--it tasted like SWILL), we learned how to drive "illegally" on West Drive by the Rose Bowl with a mutual friend who should have known better, we almost got mugged one summer night but were "saved" by a car load of guys that went way out of their way to turn around and come back and sit with us until the "threat" passed us..........man....I'm regugitating things I haven't thought of in a long long time. I better stop. I may say something I'll regret. HAHAHAHA!!! Some things better left unsaid--ohhhhhhhh yeah. ANYWAY...

Great to hear from him.

AND...I just got some intel that a former GREAT friend of mine, Tom Corbin, THE LOUDEST TUBA PLAYER I'VE EVER HEARD IN MY FREAKIN' LIFE, is on my radar. Need to track that boy down. He used to come pick me up every morning to go to school in our senior year--him in his old beat up I think it was a Duster but I can't remember, and he always had some weird chick in the car that carpooled as well. Didn't say much. I think she was Goth--about 20 years prior to Goth being popular. Nice enough. Just...unsettling. I also was in my first traffic accident with Tom--he was pulling out of my driveway and car slammed into us. That was fun. Got a mild concussion out of that particular accident.

No wonder there's so much crap wrong with me!!! :-) Anyway...TC...I'm hunting you down brother. Oh....hold the door...another memory just hit me...I better watch the term "hunting down" with TC. I believe rumor had it that after high school he actually disappeared and became a real bounty hunter. Which I believe. 'Cuz TC was sort of a bad ass in high school. NICE. But bad ass. And I remember my mom really liked him. Weird.

OK...I really need to get back to work. I have a ton to do--until next time--thanks for reading and putting up with my friends!! :-)

NOW GET OUTTA HERE!!! GIT!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are gonna remember all the loves of your past lives, you can't leave me out...even though nothing really happened between us, I did love you unconditionally!

I'm sure its weird to hear from greg and then from me and believe me one had nothing to do with the other! Pure coincidence@

Sounds like things are A-OK with you...but of course in my usual fashion I would like more details! Kids..jobs...other friends...etc.

Take care!

Char