Saturday, October 13, 2007

Hi everyone--I'm back...and boy oh boy...

Just when you thought it was safe to ignore this stupid blog, here I am again. Seemingly to have forgetten this ill-fated experiment in publishing my thoughts, I have come to my senses and realized that due to my INCREDIBLE speed at typing, that it really isn't all that big a deal to type a few words here and there and "check in" with you all that feel the need to see what "The H" is thinking about, or worse, what's going on in my pathetic yet somehow over-the-top busy life. Let me give you a run down--I think it's August I need to go back to....

--Biggest news in August was that my whole announcing gig with Drum Corps International at the Division II/III semi, finals, and Grand Finals was an overwhelming if not ultimately HOT experience. I think I did exactly what I set out to do, and that's be the absolute BEST at what I do in the announcing world. Apparently DCI noticed, as I was approached a few times by PTM's (people that matter) saying "Get ready to travel next summer", hinting that I would be seeing more involvement with DCI maybe on a national level. Mission accomplished.

--Second biggest news, but only second by a smidge, was the announcing job I got to do for the Kingsmen Alumni Corps performance on Friday night at the Rose Bowl. That was an incredible experience. For those of you that have no idea what drum corps is and what it means in my life, suffice it to say that I was standing on the field exactly 20 years after I had "aged out" in 1987 with my last drum corps performance being at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin. Here I was, back on the field, filling another role, and literally standing next to the "Voice of DCI" Brandt Crocker as I announced on to the field The Kingsmen. And when I figure out how to do it, I'll get a clip of the sound here on the blog so you can hear what The H sounds like booming over the speaker system at the Rose Bowl. I think I gave God Himself a run for the money. Mission accomplished with a minor taint of sadness--Two things...one, I wish my mom was there. But I had the next best thing there which was my mother-in-law, who adopted me back in 1994 right after my mom died. And secondly, I wish my dad was there. Unfortunately, my dad's health is not too good these days, so getting him to the Rose Bowl in that heat that day to hear me announce would have been too much. Sad...but...that's what happens when parents get old.

--While DCI was a significant investment of time, the other significant investment was my show design business. Probably not a good idea to admit this on my blog read by millions, but it was a case of priorities and trying my best to make things work. I seemed to constantly be behind with drill this year, but in August, I really worked my ass off to make my dreams work. Mission accomplished but not without some fatalities along the way!! LOL!!! Note to self: Try not to work with band directors that change their music after you already wrote them an opener. Yeah. Nice idea.....NOT!

In September:

--Came home one day from work. My wife says, "I've got something for you to see." Thinking she was going to hand me the keys to my new Ford F-250 with a 6.0L diesel engine, I gleefully followed her to...the bathroom. Hmmmm...strange. Well, I'll take my keys anywhere thank you. She points to a cylindrical object on the sink counter, plastic, sort of like a thermometer but with a space on the end that had a symbol in it. What are you showing me woman? A clue to where my keys will be??? What's this?? What's the meaning of this blue cross symbol? "I'm due in March." HANH!?!?!?!? Due what? Library book? What????

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....THAT DUE?!?!?!?! Yeah.

H3.

Premiers in March, 2008.

It better be a girl.

--Auditioned--wait wait wait...INTERVIEWED for the Senior Fire Communications Supervisor position here at the Orange County Fire Authority. Not nearly as traumatic and full of drama as the last promotional exam and testing process from 5 years ago, but it was there a little. Lots of good candidates. I then find out I got the position...and that a person that I got hired with back in 1994, Jenny Cradle, got promoted as well into my old position. Pretty cool. Although my plate of responsibility and headaches just turned into a freakin' buffet line at the Mandalay Bay--which incidentally, is GREAT!!!

--Started dealing with inevitable horrible pregnancy complications that affect Nyleen. She's very sick. But at least she's not being hospitalized like the last 2 kids. Will have to keep an eye on her.

--In the thick of drill design with my 9 client bands, battling in particular with one client which hasn't been any fun at all. Unfortunate communication issues dog us. Hopefully we'll figure things out.

And here in October...

--Plugging away...just plugging away.

That's about it from me for now--more to come when I'm more conscious and able to actually remember things. Seeing as though it's now 3:43 am as I type this, I'm lucky I can even remember my own name.

Get.

Outta.

Here.

2 comments:

Lee Rudnicki said...

Congrats. :)

wtran7 said...

hey Ryan congrats on the awesome news!