Friday, August 31, 2007

Has the dust settled???

Welcome back Turner....what are ya??

BUSY!?!?!?!?

Busy to say the least. Frustrated. Happy. Sad. Elated. Concerned. Anxious. Nervous to the point of stomach issues. Oh man....where do I start?

Two of the most important things right now that are over and done with that I was able to proudly say to myself "GOOD JOB!!!" if no one else would be able to: The announcing gig at the Rose Bowl, and my promotional interview and presentation at the Fire Department. I will expand further on both at a later time, but suffice it to say, those were two of the most challenging things on my mind these past several weeks. Both were opportunities that would/will open doors (OR CLOSE THEM) to the future, and I don't think I've ever been as "wound up" about this stuff before in my life...except back to the time I was getting ready to audition for drum major for my high school band in 1982 and had anxiety related diarrhea for 2 weeks PRIOR. Yeah. THAT was fun. Anyway...there's a lot of emotional and strange "baggage" involved with the Rose Bowl gig that I'll expand upon later.

The other biggee--the promotional--well, it's been on my mind obviously. Outside of the weighing in my mind if I wanted to actually follow through with the interview, I was going up against some heavy competition. There were going to be 7 of us, all of my competitors bringing something to the table. Then, strangely, not without at least some lovely DRAMA, 4 of the competitors pulled out, citing various reasons. I was pretty disappointed with one of the people that pulled out as I could have definitely worked for that person had that person beat me. And that person probably WOULD have. Because that person is very talented and needs a swift kick in the ass to remind THIS PERSON. Suffice it to say, that left the field to just three. Me, my comrade in arms and fellow blogging giant Jon Dumitru, and someone that was hired the same time I was back in 1994 Jenny Cradle. I couldn't afford to worry about those two leading into the interview and presentation, it was only AFTERWARDS that my self-esteem plummetted. LOL!!! I think all three of us uniquely qualify for the office. We all have strengths that could be utilized nicely. Our weaknesses are nothing out of the ordinary, certainly nothing worse than some of the qualities of people that hold FAR loftier positions than what I'm striving for. So...what this is going to come down to is not how many years we've been here, or how quickly I can pull a technical tidbit of knowledge out of my butt, or how I well I'll be able to supervise a whole CENTER full of people versus just a shift....rather, it will come down, inevitably, to the person that is going to fit the position the best. The person that will be able to learn, be taught, be able to use what is taught in some meaningful way, who believes in the organization, and will be able to motivate others. Am I the best for the job? I am one of the best, that's for sure. But I certainly don't DESERVE it. I have to EARN it. And if I DON'T earn it, than it's worth...

NOTHING.

That's my update--when I get a chance, I'll get back here and rap with you all abouts some cool experiences over the last few weeks.

No comments: