Saturday, August 04, 2007

Off I go...into the wild blue yonder...

'Tis the final week of drum and bugle corps MAYHEM this summer, at least for me. Actually, that's not ENTIRELY true. I did write the drill for So Cal Dream All-Age Drum and Bugle Corps out of Torrance, California, and their championships aren't until the Saturday before Labor Day. But the JUNIOR corps season is on its last week. I'm tempted to type LAST LEGS. But...there's a reason I won't get too "wordy" about what I mean. Reason: I just don't want to rehash everything.

But truth be told. I learned a lot this past season, deciding, stupidly, to attempt to lay claim to the title of "If THEY/HE can do it, SO CAN I!!!" I wrote for three corps. Not entirely the smartest thing to do ever. But I certainly learned a lot--and I also learned A LOT ABOUT PEOPLE. Especially people I thought I knew. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah...realizing that I'm not perfect keeps me from opening a big can of WHOOP ASS on my own blog and laying into certain folks. Suffice it to say--this "learning experience" pushed me a little into a corner. Unfortunately, I came out swinging, and I'm still a little, how should I say, "hair triggered". I'll just leave it at that.

And one more thing.

I'll NEVER do that again. And since so many people read this blog, the person that I most wanted to tap on the shoulder so to speak and say "See??? You're not the only one that can do this?" probably doesn't even know I exist, and is experiencing GREAT success this season anyway. Call it a rivalry, call it a tad bit of jealousy, call it whatever. I did it. And now I'm done. I did what I did for the WRONG reasons. And just as a "mentor" told me--if you're not writing drill for the LOVE of writing drill, than please, stop writing drill. Well--I'm not ready to jump off THAT cliff--YET--but yeah. There you go. Age 41. Still figuring my crap out.

OK...so...it's like 6:30 am and I'm typing on my stupid blog. WHY? Well, I had a bout of gastrointestinal difficulties about 2o minutes ago, and now, I'm in that hell between not sure if I want to go back to bed, or get up and write drill. YEAH. For the 8 bands I'm writing for.

Geeeeeeeeeeeesh. I'm sadomasochistic. That's it. I dig being punished. That's why I'm doing it. But actually...truth be told...band directors are FAR EASIER TO WORK WITH, I'll give them THAT much.

Well people, I'm outta here. Getting on the road, heading to Bakersfield for announcing duties for DCI. Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh yeah. That REMINDS ME. That little 48 hr window for the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT. I totally forgot. Sorry. Didn't mean to leave ya hanging. Yeah...well...as my information has it...the decision maker, a certain CEO of a certain international drum corps association is the deciding factor right now. And hopefully, I'll be hearing from him.

Then...the announcement will be made. Oh hey...here's a rundown of my week...

TODAY--Saturday: Get on the road to Bakersfield, check in to hotel, get dressed, and on to Bakersfield City College for announcing duties.

SUNDAY--Wake up. Stare at ceiling. Stare at TV. Wait. Wait. Wait some more. Than get dressed, go to Bakersfield City College for PART II of announcing duties. Decide after show if I take DCI up on offer to stay one additional night, or do I go home. Leaning towards home. Gots drill to write.

MONDAY--DRILL DAY AT HOME. Don't call. Don't write. Don't knock on my door, unless you're a methamphetamine dealer. Then we'll talk.

TUESDAY--Division II/III Quarterfinals, Pasadena City College--11am until it ends. Me...a microphone...and history is made. I debut as the "Official Announcer for the Division II/III DCI World Championships". But first...I stop by a hotel in Monrovia for a special secret rendevous with a certain ticket broker. Hmmmm...why????

WEDNESDAY--DRILL DAY. Same instructions apply as above. Except I'm driving to Long Beach Veteran's Memorial Stadium for a special Kingsmen Alumni Corps Exhibition, featuring Impulse, Pioneer, the Nicholson Pipe Band, and someone else....uhhhh...let's see....who is it...something about blue....blue cadets...well, whatever...I'll be there....THE VOICE AT WORK AGAIN...

THURSDAY--DRILL DAY!!!! Talk not to me.

FRIDAY--the day of days. Div II/III semi finals at PCC, 11am until it ends...then, I swing over to the Rose Bowl, meet up with wife, mother in law (flying in from Seattle), brother in law (flying in from Missouri), sister in law (flying in from Utah), another sister in law (flying in from Orange), and we all descend upon the DCI Semi Finals competition. However, we'll be in the LUXURY SUITE #113. Yeah. That's what I did on Tuesday. Picked up my $800 worth of tickets!!!!!! Yeah. $800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Out of MY pocket. Dang I'm nice. And...AND...the possibility of a major announcement concerning this night looms on the horizon. COME ON ACHESON. COME ON BABY!!! (crossing my fingers...)

SATURDAY--Division II/III GRAND CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! 10:30am...and then??? I'm not exactly sure. I may do a puppy dog act and BEG for a pass to Division I finals, but who knows. We'll see. If I don't go to finals, I'll just go back home, and WRITE DRILL!!!

SUNDAY--DRILL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MONDAY--back to work.

That's it gang. If there's a computer at my hotel in Bakersfield, I'll check in. If not--later next week. Thanks for reading.

Now get lost.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Keeping us in suspense, eh Ryan? Remember, when you're announcing during the Div. II/III Championships, it's "THE SPAHR-TAHNS!" (Not "Spartans!") Ha ha! j/k. (At least that's the way the announcer did it before when we won in 1998 and came in second in 1999.) DCI in Cali? How remarkably odd and at the same time awesome is THAT?

Your Friend, Alan

Anonymous said...

Oh my God! This is geek central. And I thought Comicon had the market on spaz's. Nope, the H-blog does. Just kiddin. Love Ya Ryan.

Anonymous said...

WOW, this is truly full speed ahead Capt. Kirk. I used your ramblings to put my children to sleep.