Wednesday, August 08, 2007

HERE'S THE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

A little later than I intended--but here it is nonetheless.

Yesterday, while I was at Pasadena City College announcing the Division II/III World Championship Prelims, I received official word that Drum Corps International gave the nod of approval for me to announce on Friday night at the Rose Bowl for the Kingsmen Alumni Corps!! I was ESTATIC when I got that phone call. I CAN'T WAIT. There's a bunch of campy sappy emotional stuff tied up with this that I won't waste you're valuable reading time on--but suffice it to say, 20 years after aging out performing my last drum corps show at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin in 1987, here I am announcing for DCI, AND I get to go to the "Big Show" and announce for a historic event. There's a bunch of FULL CIRCLE weirdness that surrounds this as well--again, I won't waste your time now with it. But maybe I'll explain it later.

Bottom line--I had a goal, and I made it. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Now...about yesterday...I announced at PCC and had a great time. Lots of fun! I think that it was one of my best times ever announcing. I was pretty nervous as I felt in some ways that my job I did yesterday was all about "first impressions" with a bunch of people from all over the country that have no clue who I am. So, I wanted to make sure they knew their announcer was at the very least COMPETENT (side note: I've heard some HORROR stories over the years of drum corps show announcers across the country doing absolutely HORRIBLE things...so horrible in fact that I'm surprised that DCI doesn't hire a "staff announcer" to tour all summer...but that's another story). Needless to say, I had a great time yesterday. Lots of fun.

Strange event of the day--and it's about this stupid blog. HOW MANY PEOPLE READ THIS!?!?! I actually wish I knew. I wonder if there is a way to get a counter or something to tell me how many people read this. In any case, I'm standing there, minding my own business on the track, waiting I believe for the final 6 corps chunk to get started. And a very nice man in the audience says to me, "So...what's your big announcement?" Unfortunately, I had no idea who this man was, but I knew exactly what he was talking about. Here's someone at a corps show at PCC asking ME about my FREAKIN' BLOG!?!?! LOL!!!!! I sort of stammered for a second, thinking to myself, "Uhhhhh...jeez...whoisthiswhoisthiswhoisthiswhoisthis..." but I very politely talked to him for a few minutes. Apparently this guy is going to the Kingsmen Exhibition tonight at Veteran's stadium--so maybe he'll come up to me and say "Read your big announcement!" LOL!!! And this time I'll say "And you are???" LOL!!!

Anyway...on to writing drill and getting some stuff handled today. Thanks for reading this blog. I don't know WHAT drives some of you to read this blog...but so be it.

NOW GET OUTTA HERE!!! (...and have a nice day...)

2 comments:

Jim said...

Ryan,

I'm the guy that asked about your announcement. My name is Jim Brittell and I live in Santa Ana. I marched with the Racine Scouts from 65-72, so of course I had to be on hand for their first California performance since 1973. I remember VK from my marching days as the not so fun-loving corps of the pre-DCI era (like, before the earth cooled...), but have absolutely no recollection of which shows our corps shared in common. I have enjoyed your blog this year, as well as your show announcing. Unfortunately, I will not be at semi-finals, but I will be at the quarterfinals, assuming my meeting with the State Fire Marshal doesn't last too long. If I see you, I'll introduce myself this time.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Ryan,
You ARE the Voice. I had to stop listening Friday as you ran down our show tunes or I might have missed the mark time!

Google Analytics will tell you more than you want to know about who visits your site, if you can plug their piece of code into the blog page - and its free.
Robbie
KAC F-6