Sunday, August 10, 2008

PHANTOM REGIMENT WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In what can only be described as not only the upset of the century, but certainly a wish come true for drum and bugle corps fans across the world, last night, at the Drum Corps International World Championships in Bloomington, Indiana, the perpetual "bridesmaid" in the drum corps activity came from a 3rd place finish in quarter finals and a 2nd place finish in semi's to squeak by a nearly invincible Blue Devils to win the coveted World Championships with a score of 98.125. The Blue Devils were only .025 behind with a score of 98.100. For my readers who wouldn't know a drum and bugle corps if it smacked you upside the head, I invite you to take a moment to look back in my blog to a few "clips" I've posted of drum and bugle corps, most notably the recent clip of the 1988 Madison Scouts. I have always described drum and bugle corps to non-music people as "marching band on steroids". In any event, last night was a battle between two corps whose style and approach to show design and programming are about as different as two groups could get. I don't think I'll waste vast amounts of time trying to describe those differences--my drum corps and marching band friends "get it". An amazing night of drum corps last night back in Bloomington--all the while I was sitting in the Command Center in Irvine, California saving cats in trees.

Yippee.

Heard from a friend from long-ago yesterday that put a gigantic smile on my face. And to think she reads this crap....thanks for "checking in" MYD (I don't know what to put to replace the "D", so you'll just have to go with it for now).

The drama at my workplace is pretty incredible as of late. I have found out something about me. As I have gotten older, and have had kids, and have gone through several "ringers" in my life where priorities become crystalized for me in ways I never would have been able to do by myself, I find "drama" in the workplace to be particularly irritating. I simply don't have time for it. But unfortunately, based on my title, apparently I can be irritated all day long because that's what happens in the workplace. ANY workplace. But boy, I'm tellin' ya. The day that people can approach a problem calmly, rationally, and by looking at the freakin' BIG PICTURE instead of the myopic "what's in it for me" way I've been seeing, it will be a GREAT day at the OCFA.

Pipe dream, Turner!! PIPE DREAM!!!

Well that's about it for now. Working on the closing production for a major band back in Illinois, and I'll get that posted up. In case anyone cares, I figured out what the sound issue was that I had with my previous clips of drill design. Had to do with the bit rate of the MP3 that I was using. It usually comes in 128 bit rate. I have to UPgrade that bit rate to 192 for my animation program to "hear it" so I can synch the music and the movement. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...I get it.

NOT.

WTF is a bit rate?

See, I come from the days of turning on an amp, turning on a record player, dropping a needle, and OUT COMES THE FREAKIN' MUSIC. Now you have to have an AA in Computer Science to run your life anymore.

Ain't that the truth. Alright...that's about it. Oh hey....one more thing. You feeling adventurous? Go to my Facebook account...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=657885846

It's like Myspace....but for adults. It's actually pretty cool. Sort of addicting. In a strange sort of way. I actually found my very first girlfriend who now works and lives in England of all places. Small world.

Alright...I'm out. You should be to.

No comments: