Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Hello out there...and where have I been?

If you don't know me by now....

You will never ever ever know me....oooooooooooooo...

Sorry. I was having a moment. YES...it's MARCHING BAND SEASON!!! Well, actually, it's BEEN marching band season for about 2 months already. Yeah, we drill designers start way before anyone else does. I have 10 bands--it's been extremely hectic, juggling the business, the career at the Fire Department, hoping for a possible career change in the next several months if a plan that I have secretly working on pans out the way that I hope it does (but I must NOT say anything about it at work because--well--because), and of course, family and all that that entails. Sooooooooooooo...updating the blog is pretty low on the Top 40 Things To Do Everyday list. I apologize.

Good news--So Cal Dream, the senior or "all age" drum and bugle corps that I designed the drill for, came in third place at the Drum Corps Associates World Championships in Rochester, New York this past weekend. This was their second trip to the "Big Game" in their short 5 year history, so they've come a long way. I think the organization's "legitimacy" has just been increased seven-fold ($1 to Lee!). Lee, our Program Coordinator, predicted this. So did I. We just talk different languages. So...onwards. My future with the corps though...eh. I'm not sure. I have a feeling I've been cut because I'm psychic about these type of things, plus, I squawked to the exec director about what I considered to be an issue and--well, you know how things "change" when you're dealing with someone. It's hard to describe. But "it" changes. Yeah. "It" changed. So...we'll see. If it DOESN'T pan out for next season, I wish the organization the best. But if it DOES pan out...I think I can help take the corps to the next level. Which is...of course...making finals in Open Class. There's NOTHING I can't do design-wise that isn't already being done. Sounds conceited--but who cares. It's the truth. As a matter of fact, in comparison to what's out there in DCA land Open Class, I think I can bring a unique style. But...I don't see a bridge to cross right now so I'm talking WAY in the future tense.

OK...Impulse is the Division III World Champion!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!! And there are many exciting things in development for the corps to get ready for sure-to-be exciting 2007 season!! Check out the website for more information--and keep your ears and eyes open for announcements coming from the corps over the next few weeks. Good stuff...good stuff.

Rumors and rumors and more rumors...the drum corps activity is always alive and well with rumors. Mystikal, a little birdy told me, is departing the Ventura area and heading for greener pastures, where apparently kids LIKE to work hard. I don't get the Ventura area. But--oh well...they're losing their best chance to have a regional powerhouse corps with a committed director...another birdy told me that he was going to be applying for the directorship of a certain corps back somewhere else and is VERY excited about the prospect....said birdy is VERY talented and would probably kick some booty in the position....we shall see...Pasadena gearing up for 2007, the site of the Drum Corps International World Championships, being held at the Rose Bowl of course, and much to the chagrin of some real WINNERS...uh, sorry, I meant to say WHINERS on Drum Corps Planet...they fear everything from the Rose Bowl sucking as a venue (please...), to accessibility, to cost, to this to that...whatever. All I know is the east coast people better be buying their tickets early or they won't even GET a seat because everyone and their mother is going from the west coast to 2007 finals. PERIOD. It's about DAMN TIME that DCI came out here.

OK...enough band/corps geekdom stuff. Fire Department going well. Got new office furniture so I won't be in my office using a table that I found outside covered with rat poop and 1 inch of dust. Still trying to "find my niche" in this position, which makes it a little frustrating to say the least. The chief of the section told me yesterday that "ultimately you are responsible" for the TEMD program. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...how about giving me my 7.5% staff raise and a FREAKIN' JOB DESCRIPTION!!! I've been winging it for 6 months now. Sheeeeeeeeeeesh. Oh well...it's the OCFA. Remember, it's the organization that told 911 dispatchers that (at the old place) we were not allowed to "park closer to the building" because we had to leave that open for the I.S. people. Yeah...the same I.S. people that CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or the same OCFA that just promoted someone in finance that CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH and has regularly screwed things up on timeslips and paychecks. There you go. Makes me feel REAL good about MY accomplishments. I guess I must SUCK because I got promoted, hanh? Backwards thinking...I know...and I also know I'm just freakin' ranting. But try as they might to do some good things (and they do, I have to be honest), the OCFA amazes me some times with their truly stupid decisions. Where was I???

Oh yeah. Anyway--with "winging it" and no 7.5% staff raise and no job description, I did receive the best evaluation I've ever received by my immediate supervisor, so I must be doing something right. I was actually pretty amazed by the evaluation. Which reminds me...it was written by my immediate supervisor, even though strangely I don't report to him. Isn't that weird???? JOB DESCRIPTION AND FLOW CHART PLEASE!! :-)

On the personal front, I'll just say this. I wish I had more time for my family. I'm suffering badly in that department, but I feel a moral obligation to provide for my family, and that's what I do. I'll leave it at that.

So....until next time....I'm out of here and back to drill and other "stuff". Hope you enjoyed reading....now get outta here.

1 comment:

JD said...

I am glad you finally realize that promotions are sometimes in error, I know that in my beliefs that the person they hired you over should have gotten the job....HAHAHA....LOL,

Well, I hope your secret plan to leave the ocfa comes true..only the best fer ya, but do you really want to let people know you have a secret plan...on thought comes to mind there....

Rocket Backpack by ACME Rockets..shipped to Wil E. Coyote.

BEEP, BEEP....